Saturday, October 23, 2010

I stumbled upon...

I went through my old stuff and found this piece of story from Twisties, believe it or not. Hmm.

(This story is extracted from the book - THE WAY OF THE WORLD, by S. Hadi Abdullah, published by Malaysian Institute of Management.)


================================

The Way of the World

This story took place in the country of Gambia, Africa.

The young son of a local chieftain in his usual manner was jumping and hopping along a footpath beside a river. Today, he ran a wee bit too close to the mud and saw a crocodile 'stuck' in the mud. It cried loudly for help. The boy answered its call. Pretending to need help, the crocodile all of a sudden snapped, and caught him in the thigh. Just as it was preparing to pull him into the river, the boy complained that the crocodile had cheated him by pretending to need help.

"My young fellow," said the reptile, "that is the way of the world."
The boy refused to believe it, and argued it was otherwise. So between them, they decided to check with the first three animals that happened to pass them.

The first to come along was a horse. They related the story of how the boy came to be caught to the horse and the way the world was.

"The world was always ungrateful, look at me!" said the horse. "I belonged to the chief; I had fought many battles; I went hunting and fishing with him. Now that I am old and sickly, he has discarded me to be eaten by the lions and vultures. The world has always been unreliable."

The second animal which passed them was a donkey. They related the story to it.
"It was always that way," said the donkey. "I worked very hard when I was young. I carried wood, salt, clothing - you name it. I was well liked then. Now that I am old and haggard, I have been chased away from home to be eaten by hyenas and birds of prey. The world is truly ungrateful."

By now, the boy was beginning to get disillusioned.
The third animal to pass them was a rabbit. When the story was related to it, the rabbit said, "Now tell me exactly what happened, where were you crocodile and where were you little boy, I must have a true picture before I can comment. Please demonstrate."

In order to show the rabbit how it all happened, the crocodile had open its mouth and let the boy go. As soon as it opened its mouth and let the boy go, the rabbit quickly told the boy to run away and save himself. This, he certainly did. He ran straight to his father and told him what happened. The father, together with a few warriors ran to the riverbank and speared the crocodile to death.

The boy's hunting dogs... killed the rabbit.

This story, when told to a five-year-old,
received the following response:

"Mummy, the future should not be like that, the rabbit should have run away before the dogs came."

====================================


In my opinion.. This story is rather depressing. Even though one can hardly believe that the animals in this story can talk to humans. XD 
The poor rabbit who saved the boy is killed by the boy's dogs. OMG. I hate the baka boy. >.<

But let's not forget. There are some lessons to be learnt here.

  1. Do not go near rivers. (Especially those with crocodiles in them.)
  2. Do not trust a crocodile. Even if it looks cute...
  3. Do not save talking crocodiles. Or even chit-chat with them!
Yes, there are many ways you can interpret this story. Most of all, you will feel sorry for the rabbit. I really hate the crocodile who tricked the boy. But, the boy is partly at fault too! He should not have trusted the crocodile in the first place! =.=

Okay, I'm done blabbering. Sorry for wasting your time. XD Yeah, I can actually hold a debate on whether the crocodile or the boy is wrong! (Haha. Sounds like I have nothing better to do than studying, huh?)

And I ♥ the rabbit. :)






"I wanna be a billionaire so freaking bad
Buy all of the things I never had
I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine
Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen..."

-Travie Mccoy + Bruno Mars

-kN.-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mehehehe you have something to say? ;D